Sunday, May 01, 2016

(Updated 09.09.16) Got Scammed from Smart Partnership Moto by Ambank

So here I am again blogging about something that happened actually 2 months ago, where I was given a called by so called Ambank Marketing team stated that I was their VIP customers after being with them for numbers of years already.  I first posted my story here on lowyat forum :- ambank smart partnership moto, need help  , but decided to post a more detail scenario here instead.  So here is what they were offering
  • Free car replacement for the first 8 days
  • Discount voucher for hotel stay
  • Ambank bonus point for the first year
  • Insurance coverage for accidents and hospital stay

All this for the price of RM56/Month.  Whereby they told me it will auto deduct from my credit card.  I would normally turn this offer down, especially from phone calls.  But didn't know why I went and accepted the offer in the first place.  And if I have any question, just call back Ambank for further clarification about it.  So after everything was done and all, I didn't hear from this agent again.
  So after a few weeks I didn't hear from then, suddenly I got called by another agent telling repeating me the whole thing again to confirm that I will be purchasing their smart partnership moto plan.  But this time it cost RM66/Month.  I didn't checked with him, he said that it was an old plan and with this new RM66/Month my children would be covered as well along with what was mentioned with the initial benefits that was given.  Whereby he repeated the above, as well as all the furnished details of my particulars I gave during the first call.  And said I confirm I wanted to purchase this plan.  So that was that.  The following week the first agent called me up again, telling me that they will be processing my application, and asked me to confirmed if I wanted to sign up for that plan.  I agreed with her and to proceed with the application.

  So after over a month of waiting, just last week, I just received an sms that RM56 was being deducted from my credit card for the Smart Partnership Moto. So I thought it could be some mistaken thinking maybe I didn't hear clearly thinking it was RM66. So when I received my card statement few days ago I noticed the RM56 was being charged but they locked up RM672 + 6%GST (which they failed to mention). So from there, I didn't really bother much considering the protection I will be getting.

Then the drama only unfold yesterday(25th April 2016), when I was told that I was being charged RM66 for Smart Partnership Moto. So I went and directly called up Ambank Customer Service to check what's up with that. As I kept on emphasizing to see if I was paying for 1 policy or 2. Apparently the CS told me she does not know anything about this and will get the person in charge of this Smart Partnership Moto to contact me "As Urgent As Possible". So after waiting over 24 hours, I went and called up Ambank CS again. This time as I tried to check with them again, the CS gave me 2 numbers which are 03-62876638 (no one picked up the phone where I called from 12PM to 4.30PM in a spans of 45 mins) and another number which was some gallery. Also the CS informed me that, the 2nd charged was actually for the 2nd policy of RM792 + 6%GST. So basically confirmed that I purchased 2 policies instead of 1.

So the following day (27th April 2016) I went and called Ambank once again and asked them about this issue, and again they apologize for the matter whereby the previous CS gave me the wrong number.  So asked me to call directly to another phone number.  So when I tried calling again few times with no response, I went back and called the customer service and ask what gives.  Gave me wrong number, and I told them I wanted to cancel the policy for both of it.  All the CS could say is that they will expedite my case and will help me terminate both the policy and get a refund.  Then I ask the CS how long do I need to wait, and she said give her 1 week and she will get someone to contact me regarding the status of this case.

Not long after that, I received a call from someone by the name of Alice said that the bank gave my number to her.  And I asked which bank was it, she told me it was Ambank.  Then I thought that maybe it was from Smart Partnership Moto.  But lo and behold, she was asking me if I was from some Langkawi Resort. I told her no, and she said ok and hung up.

So this pretty much got me thinking, could it be that the CS at Ambank are giving out random phone numbers to those who calls them up regarding this issue?  And from the looks of things even when I call them back this coming Wednesday regarding this issue they would probably "play stupid" and give me the same excuse and probably divert me to another number which will probably fail.

Now something to think about for the next few days as I will probably bring this up to a few of my friends and probably get their opinion to see if they can help me pull some strings regarding this case.  So currently from the way I look at it, it's now Ambank-1, Alex Jong - 0.

Some other reference


Screenshot from the following FB site

06-06-2016
  Here's an update to what happen over the past few weeks after I wrote this issue here.  Anyway, after a week of not receiving any phone calls and etc. I've decided to transfer the remaining of whatever bills I was using to a different card and plan to cancel my card with them.  Then about 3 weeks ago, I kept getting this phone calls from Ambank.  Once I answered their call, first they introduced me they are calling on behalf of Ambank 3rd party Insurance.  First thing they asked me was my family details as this is for the Smart Partnership Moto thing, suddenly once they mentioned that I blasted them on the spot telling them they scammed me into purchasing the plan in the first place.
  The person calling me stated that, in their record I agreed to purchase their plans.  I told them yes, I only agree to purchase 1 policy and not 2.  And I asked them, why did they scammed me into purchasing 2 policy instead of 1?  And I said I've already requested to cancel the policy, why are you still calling me to update the details for this plan?  The lady apologize and gave me another phone number, saying it's really the direct phone number to cancel this policy.  When I tried calling, after she hung up you all pretty much get the same response where there was no one picking up the phone.
  The next day, again same number called again but this time different person asking for the same info. I explained to her that I cancelled the policy already why are you still calling me? Then she apologize and hung up the phone.  And this happened for the next few days, asking for my family details once again which I believe is for the 2nd policy.  So finally, they called me up again and I asked them why did they charged me in the first place without first getting all my particulars.  The "Loyar Buruk" in me suddenly started speaking stating that, if that's the case I can actually sue the bank for misleading their customer for charging them for a policy without them fulfilling their requirements in the first place.  And I told them there were 2 ways of settling this issue, first is that they cancel both my policy and refund me or I'll see you in court.  And here was when I became really annoying where I tried to get the full name of the person along with their IC number as I'm intending to send a letter to the bank.
  Anyway, long story short. She never gave me the full name and IC and will again "expedite" my case.  Never the less, I still think that I'm not going to get my refund in the coming statement.  And have decided to cancel the card.  As I'm extremely disappointed with Ambank especially, being their customer for years and yet treated me that way.  I'll probably leave this post here, hoping that others will learn from this experience.

09-09-2016
So back in July, when I checked my card statement I noticed that I was not being charged for the Smart Partnership Moto.  However I was not refunded the previous amount that was being charged to my card.  Never the less, I thought it will show up on my August Statement.  So when I got my August Statement, I saw that I was still being charged for the Smart Partnership Moto again.  This time I went and call up their Customer Service (02-09-2016) once again to see what's going on.  So after checking, the customer service noted that I requested the cancellation back in April and said will once again escalate this issue to have the insurance being cancelled. After that, they told me that it will take about 14 working days for them to process the request once again, and it SHOULD be cancelled by the time I received the next card statement.  So hopefully when my next card statement arrives I should not be charged for this Smart Partnership Moto again.
Moral of the story?
  If I intend to purchase any insurance in the future, I'll go through my friends or relatives that are selling them rather than through these promotional you are a VIP member from this bank or that bank.  Reason is because, based on this issue should anything ever happened to me.  And my family members would want to make claim I feel it's going to be impossible.  What's the purpose of having an insurance if things really happen, you decided to wash your hands and pass the buck around.  At least if you purchased insurance from an agent (especially friends or relatives) they'll ensure that you are really insured and help you keep track with all your policy and etc should anything happens. 

42 comments:

  1. am in the same predicament as you currently
    they gave me numbers that nobody pickup and i'm at a lost now to how to cancel the policy.
    Thinking to just outright cancel the card
    Miss Fadilah / Mr Jake
    0321670583 / 0543

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. Problem is that if we cancel the card, we will still need to pay for it because it was charged as EPP. So at the end of the day, we'll still lose. I'm planning to cancel this card by January next year.. Hopefully by then they won't be able to charge me anymore.

      Delete
  2. In my case they charged me RM 28 as per what i agreed in May 2015. Then the transaction stopped until this month may 2016, they charged me 2 times suppossedly for June 2015 n July 2015. Called CS last 2 wks and she promised that she will cancel this policy. Today when I checked my credit card online, instead of cancellation, 2 more transactions came in. Supposedly for July 2015 and April 2016.

    Called the CS once again, gave me a number that no one picked up. Called another CS, I was informed that my earlier report to cancel was not in the system. Now she is putting another report again to cancel the policy.

    It seems that Ambank CS has received complains abt this many times from customer. Time to change my CC company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to cancel my cards with them soon. Anyway, they managed to end one policy.. But they didn't refund me the GST nor the 1st payment. Now waiting for my other auto debit with the card to be transferred to another one. Once that's done, I'm cancelling it.

      Delete
    2. Nor Bayani...saya sama kes dgn awk dikenakan charge rm28 utk permulaan dan NOV & DEC dicaj sebyk 2 kali..1st report to SC end of nov 2017..katanya 5 hari bekerja wakil agen akan call..until now tak ada seorg pun yg call saya..sampai hr ini...dah masuk tahun baru sudah 3 kali sy buat report ke SC & they still charge me..i don't know how to solve this problem..

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:59 PM

      my case is same like u nor bayani...i don't know how to resolve after 3 times make a call to SC..same reason

      Delete
    4. @Unknown & Anonymous. I managed to successfully got it cancelled after months of chasing them and got refunded towards the end. Went and called Ambank Customer service. Tell them nicely stating you've been trying to get it cancelled for over a year. And I got mine refunded the next card statement.

      Delete
  3. Mine happened last year after few tries through the mobile phone but I somehow accepted when marketing called thru office phone. This is just to stop them bothering me. Right away was charged as informed in sms. I did not even received the policy yet and they quickly charge me. Cut the story short, I still have not receive the policy and they suddenly charge me for July, Aug, Sept 2015 in my May statement.Last year, they promise to cancel if policy not receive but they dont honor their words. Called the insurance number and nobody pick up. Also thinking of cancelling my card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. They gave me another number, but that didn't work either. Will be cancelling with them soon.

      Delete
  4. how to stop this? can credit card number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tan. Cancelling your card is not an option. You'll still have to pay the remaining balance that they first initially charged. Keep calling their CS until they have no choice but to cancel the policy. But just to let you know they didn't refund me for the first initial charges as well as the GST.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:26 AM

    may i know which email or which way i could write in with the same issue?? as my dad had been charged by them for 9 policy in total instead of 1 policy in the 1st place..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I don't have email to contact them. What I can suggest you to do is either you call Ambank customer service on the back of the credit card. Or post comments on their facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/AmBankMalaysia/ and hopefully they'll reply you. All the best.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:02 PM

      Thanks~

      Delete
  6. Hi! same case, they charged me RM56 per month. I also forgot when I receive their call for offering this policy and how I been signed for this policy. What I remember is they really like forcing us to sign up this policy. They even didn't give us chance to talk and say no or reject their offer. Last month, I suddenly receive the policy from this agent than I just realized that I been force to accepted this policy but Ambank didn't billed me for the payment. I called to that agency to cancel my policy as per the T&C stated I can cancel it anytime. But they inform me that I can't cancel it due to they didn't bill me. Until just now when I receive the latest statement, they backdated for that few months installment. How can they do like this?? May I know anyone at here got successful cancelled this policy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber.

      I suggest you keep calling them up to get your policy cancelled. Never the less, if they still refuse to. Post your story on their facebook page, and you can be sure that they'll respond to you ASAP. I'm still waiting for my next statement to arrive to see if I'm still billed with the 2nd policy as the first one seems to have been cancelled. Once I get a confirmation my policy is cancelled with them, will cancel the card at the same time.

      Good luck.

      Delete
  7. Hi, i am in the same boat as all of u.
    So i need to call Ambank CS and asked them to cancel the policy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes best if you do that. Apparently it took about 14 working days for them to process. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I called to request to cancel the policy in Jul 2016. I am still getting billed!

      Delete
    3. And beginning in 2017, instead of 'Smart Partnership', something called 'KUR MBF' appears instead. Same amount.

      Delete
    4. @Yuen Loong Ngui. How's your situation now? Sorry as your comment went into moderation. Anyway, I managed to finally cancelled my policy after calling Ambank Customer Service for over a year and was finally refunded.

      Delete
  8. Yeah. Best to call them as soon as possible and get them to cancel the policy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also at the same boat. wth is going on.. the last contact to call them was 03-21670543 Jake Toh.. but nobody pickup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. Just need to keep calling Ambank call center to and request to be cancelled.

      Delete
  10. 请问这个问题解决了吗?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far they cancelled 1 policy. The 2nd one this month didn't charged but no refund unlike the first policy. Need to wait and see the upcoming statement.

      Delete
  11. hi, i just found out i got the exact same problem happen to me, but i was 2 months late to notice it...what can i do about it? do i still need to pay for the whatever GST extra charge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Best you call up customer service and tell them you request to cancel. They cancelled my first policy, still waiting for the second one to be cancelled.

      Delete
  12. i called to ambank again,n call to MAA takaful as well,cant even find a person in charge to solve tis prob,i will email n report tis matter to BNM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call them up and tell them you want to cancel the policy. I managed to cancel 1, still waiting for the 2nd one to be cancelled. I thought it was cancelled but they charged me late.

      Delete
  13. Googling about this and stumbled upon your blog. My mom is having the same issue since Sept last year. She has Ambank CC but never agree for this scam insurance. Suddenly it stated in her bill. Really pissed us off! My brother wants to bring her to make police report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best you call the Customer Service and get them to cancel their policy. I managed to successfully cancelled 1 policy, but the 2nd one its still on going despite requesting to cancel it months back. Good luck!

      Delete
  14. My mom never signed for the policy or whatever the heck. It suddenly appeared in her cc statement. Anyway just to share with you guys. Don't only call the customer service. My bro went to the bank just now with mom. And then the staff called the hq. My bro was very angry and managed to talk to 4 persons (managers, supervisor etc) for freaking 1 hour just to ask for the insurance company address. Mereka sangat pandai putar belit to make you forget the reason why u called them at the first place. Lucky my bro did the talking not my mom. Anddd they just made police report. I URGE everyone facing the same situation please make your police report. Even the police said to make report at the 1st place (most important) before proceeding to Bank Negara etc etc. But you need to have the office's complete address. Ramai-ramai lah report to stop this scam. Hopefully it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! Keep us posted on your case. Hope all will be well

      Delete
  15. Hye

    I just called them just now for my mum....she told me that the cancellation have been made on 30/8/2016. But he bill still reflected for July and June Charges.

    For my mum cases, she didnt received any call from the agent, and have been charged starting from june 2016. Even though she didnt agreed with anything and she even didnt get any call from them

    so, just now I have made a police report as per advised from the policemen.

    so, I will wait for the further action from the ambank

    as per ur need, just made a police report, then maybe you can use this info

    the place for the transaction that have been made

    Level 2, Menara MBF, Jalan Sultan Ismail, 50250 Kuala Lumpur

    They even dont want to give the details about this product, especially when I asked for the addresses.

    03-20581843 Pn Suraya (Collection Department)

    0321788888 ambank
    1300808888 ambank

    I already spoke with Mr Faizal, Miss Ija and Mr Devan (Supervisor)

    I asked them to cancel all the transactions, and want to reimbursed all the charges involve regarding this matter

    Just make sure that u proceed with the police report as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOw's you case so far? I managed to finally got mine cancelled and refunded. So hopefully you'll get yours too.

      Delete
  16. Anonymous5:06 PM

    what Im suppose to do.. I have make a report to cancel the policy since July 16.. but until now haven't refund.. and they keep charge my CC.. CS only said in progress to refund and etc... what im suppose to do to make this end at soonest.. ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try calling them again and tell them you are still being billed. Mine took over a year trying to cancel. But managed to get it refunded.

      Delete
  17. I also same...fucker to ambank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's your case so far? Managed to call the bank and got it cancelled?

      Delete
  18. Im charge 56 per month now i want to cancel but unable to reach their insurance phone line and unable to pick their phone call due to work. Can i just cancel my credit card to stop their auto deduction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to call Ambank and get them to tell the insurance company to call you at a specific time. Cancelling your credit will not help because they charged the full year amount, and you are paying installment to Ambank instead of the insurance company. Good luck.

      Delete