Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Digi 3G now in Kuching

[caption id="" align="alignright" width="240" caption="3G detected on my HTC TYTN II"][/caption]
Yes, finally 3G has finally arrived here in Kuching. Apparently it was here for quite a few weeks already if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, you can read the real press release here. Miri is expected to receive 3G by mid of this year. So I guess it won't be long now before Digi will start to dominate in Sarawak really soon.  Apparently Digi seems to have the lowest fare compared to the other telcos.

Before I forget, in order for you to activate 3G for Digi, you need to call in their customer service at 016-2211800 and get them to help you activate that services for you.  You don't need to change your sim card, so I think that's great whereby you can straight away use.  If you still can't get any 3G signal, just make sure your phone is set to GSM & 3G.  If nothing happened after 10 mins try restarting your phone.  Then voila you managed to get 3G connection already.

Anyway, so what happened was that I sort of managed to max out my RM5 cap yesterday and did a trial run with Digi's 3G feature.  I was told that currently they are only able to make video calls within the same network.  I tried to do a video call to my mom but unfortunately I was not able to get connected.  But I did a test call to Deluxe's phone and apparently it worked. Quality wise was ok, but due to the fact that both the phones were near to each other ended up giving up feedback instead.  Hehehe.  So I think it's not really a problem.

Next up, I was testing their internet connection.  Somehow rather I ended up instead of getting 3G, but rather a HSPDA connection when browsing the Internet as well as downloading some stuff through my phone.   Soon another friend of mine from Brunei so by happened to be online last night so I got him to try and have a Skype conversation.  Connection wise started to go a bit funny as it drops down from HSPDA to 3G then to Edge and vice versa.  So my friend asked me to pretty much force my phone to lock it at 3G, which pretty much solve the problem.  And the conversation was clear, despite the 1 second lag and he was using speaker phone.  As far as I know that Celcom and Maxis had already blocked VOIP whereby I was able to hear what my friend was telling me, but he was not able to listen what I said.

I've forgotten to try Youtube so I guess I'll try it out some other time.  I noticed something today, when I was downstairs in my shop my connection dropped to Edge, and when I went up stairs to get something it goes back up to 3G again.  No wonder the customer service person asked me to switch on to dual mode which was GSM & 3G.  But when I tried out forcing it to stay connected to 3G, my phone connection was cut off.  Hehe, so I guess I might need a booster antenna or something in order for me to receive the signal.

I was still able to receive incoming calls as well as SMS during my connection via 3G to the internet.  But I think it got temporarily cut off whereby priority ended up to the phone calls as well as SMS when it came in.  Never the less, I'm pretty much happy with the fact that Digi has finally stepped up its game in providing this service for their loyal customers.  Lol.  And another thing was that I did sort of post Digi a question via Twitter if they were going to provide prepaid users blackberry services.  Well, apparently I got a reply from them "We would if u want us too ;-) Y r u looking at prepaid? Have u seen this hot hot plan? http://cot.ag/c8WWD6".  And I immediately replied them Yes Please!.  So let's see how are they going to do this, and see how they are going to beat the other telcos in terms of pricing.

Oh the reason why I asked for blackberry was that, if you notice on the bottom right of my phone there's a blue thingy.  Well, I just installed the blackberry software which enables my phone to act like a blackberry now.  Which I think would be cool especially when I go out and leave my messenger on.  Lol.  And of course will still be able to receive incoming mails especially from important clients.  But apart from that, it's all good.  So thumbs up for Digi, and I hope you can continue to make us happy.  By the way, they're giving out one free BlackBerry Curve 8250 for some lucky person with the most creative post of them with a Blackberry.  You can check it out on their facebook page.

Another funny thing happened, in the midst of trial and error.  Apparently my dual sim card sort of went hair wire because my other Sim which was using Celcom was not able to detect at all.  Whereby, Digi was still able to detect 3G signal despite that I was using that sim card adapter.  Why I say this was that, whenever I would want to use a 3G connection for my Celcom sim card, I need to take out the adapter and installed the ghost sim so that I am able to use 3G services.  But to my surprise I didn't had to when I switch back to my Digi sim card.  Will try to figure out how to fix it, if I'm able to use both services then I won't need to switch my sim card all the time.  Hehehe.  Have a nice day everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm considering Digi's 3G package. It's been nearly 2 months since you posted this article, I wonder does the 3G connection quality stay the same and make you happy in the last two months? Hope to hear your follow up comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Red,
    Well, actually I'm using it on and off occasion as I'm currently running on prepaid. But a friend of mine who was on celcom for only a week, decided to switch to Digi. And she has no complaints since then.

    Anyway, you could try out their prepaid services first for a week. I think it's RM20/week. If you think it's good enough for your area, then you may consider getting it. But so far my area here seems to be good ;) I normally use it as a backup when streamyx is down. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for replying ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,

    May i know what is the software name that change my HTC to Blackberry?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ryan,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Anyway, I'm using BB Connect just for mail. May I know what model are you using?

    ReplyDelete