Thursday, January 17, 2013

AEON Credit Card Scam *updated

We have set up a long term Cash Bonanza for you
21.03.2013 *Updated
Today they called me up again, and told me the same story saying that they were from the collection department.  This time to cut long story short, I say ok will go to the bank and make payment.  And the guy just hung up.  Anyway this time the phone number that came in is +32719999.  And you can find out more how they managed to clone the number here. (http://www.aeonmalaysia.com.my/acs/static/htmls/ScamAlert_v3.html)

Received a called from AEON Card Service collection department with the number 03-2719 9999. Stated that I owe them RM5800, and asked me to pay them. So I told the person Jack, said I don’t have any credit cards with them. He then informed me that I personally went to their branch in Puchong, and applied there last year. I then asked where the credit card statement was being sent to, and he told me to an address in Selangor. And he told me that I had made 2 transaction one in KLCC and another in Pavilion. So he asked me to verify my IC, but before that I wanted him to fax me the statement. He said due to Private & Confidential issue, he cannot fax the statement to me. I then shot him back asking that is my name, and (yeah he read out my IC but I didn’t confirm) he should release that statement as I want to make a police report. He then said, they had made a mistake and will rectify the issue and hung up.

After he hung up, I went and google the above number indeed it was from AEON Malaysia call the number above and tried to talk with the customer service. So the first thing they asked me was if I had any account or credit card with them. She CS told me to just ignore the calls, as they have been getting a lot of calls regarding that issue. But I did told the Customer Service that the number I got from my phone is from AEON Customer Care line, where she replied stating that “We will never call clients using this number” as it is only to receive phone calls from customers. So as long I didn’t provide any personal banking details, it should be fine.

After the call, I headed over to AEON Malaysia website again, and click on their scam alert (http://www.aeonmalaysia.com.my/acs/static/htmls/ScamAlert.html). Lo and behold, my case was pretty much similar but it didn’t go pass step 2. Because I insisted that he fax me the bank statement first, then I will proceed to take further action.

Because times are tough now, there are a lot of scams going on. So remember to remain calm, and never give away your personal details banking details (Address, IC, Mother Maiden Name, Credit Card details, etc). Never the less, always keep yourself inform the latest scam in the following website :-

http://www.abm.org.my/e-Banking_Fraud_Awareness_Campaign_2013.aspx
http://www.bnm.gov.my/microsites/fraudalert/index.htm

If you know any other extra websites, feel free to add on to this.

Here are the tips that was given on Aeon Credit Card Service
WHAT TO DO?
1 - Please be reminded to ignore such call/ sms/ email and to refrain from giving personal banking information to anyone under any circumstances. Financial institutions, including credit card issuers and Bank Negara Malaysia and all banking institutions will never request for personal banking information when contacting customers, be it via telephone calls, SMS or emails.
2 - Lodge a police report
3 - Walk-in to any nearest bank branch / Call customer Care Line

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing, just encountered same scam on my phone. The operator(conman) will act very professionally and insist you to pay the outstanding debt of rm4299 purchase at KLIA. Dont trust them guys

    ReplyDelete